On June 15–17, 2017 in Washington, D.C., Values & Capitalism will host its seventh annual summer conference for Christian college students. During the three-day conference, participants will engage with policy experts and practitioners in a series of conversations about the most pressing issues facing our nation today—focusing particularly on how to approach these issues from a Christian perspective. Attendees will receive housing, a travel stipend, and meals during the conference. Click to read the recaps of the 2016 and 2015 conferences.
The conference will begin at 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 15 and will conclude at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, June 17. A preliminary schedule can be found below:
Thursday, June 15
5:00 p.m. – Registration and Welcome Reception
6:00 p.m. – Opening Dinner and Lecture, Andy Smarick (AEI)
Friday, June 16
8:30 a.m. – Breakfast
9:00 a.m. – How Public Policy Can Help the Poor, James Capretta (AEI)
10:45 a.m. – Syrian Refugees: Crisis in the Middle East, Katherine Zimmerman (AEI)
12:00 p.m. – Lunch
1:00 p.m. – The Role and Future of the Supreme Court, Ramesh Ponnuru (AEI)
2:15 p.m. – Christian Engagement in Politics in the Age of Trump, Darren Guerra (Biola University), Stephanie Summers (Center for Public Justice)
3:15 p.m. – Small Group Discussions: Is America Coming Apart?
4:00 p.m. – Free Time
5:30 p.m. – Evening Keynote, Arthur Brooks (AEI)
6:30 p.m. – Dinner
Saturday, June 17
8:30 a.m. – Breakfast
9:00 a.m. – Biblical Reflection, Tommy Hinson (Church of the Advent)
10:00 a.m. – Career Panel
11:00 a.m. – Student and Faculty Collaboration Discussions
12:00 p.m. – Adjournment
The application deadline is Monday, April 24.
- Applicants must be current undergraduates.
- Applicants planning to take other jobs or internships during the summer are eligible and encouraged to apply.
- Applicants may be accepted to the V&C Summer Honors Program OR the V&C Summer Conference, but not both.
- International students are eligible.
Student Application Instructions:
- Applicants must submit a resume, unofficial transcript, and a cover letter explaining 1) their interest in faith, public policy, and economics and 2) why they want to attend the Values & Capitalism Summer Conference.
- Applicants must secure a recommendation from a faculty member at their college or university in order to apply. Faculty members may submit their recommendations online at this link.